See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffry Houser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: Absolute Path Usage

>   I didn't see the original post, so I'm jumping in the middle.
..
>   The way I do this is by setting a variable ( Either to the local scope
or
> the request scope ) in the application.cfm called DirLevel:
>
> Root:             Dirlevel = ""
>   Sub1            Direvel = "../"
>    SubSub1:    Dirlevel = "../../"
>   Sub2            Dirlevel = "../
>

>   When you create your include, make all the paths relative to the root
> directory and add dirlevel in there.
>
> <A HREF="#dirlevel#index.cfm">Home</A>
> <A HREF="#dirlevel#sub1/page1.cfm">Page 1</A>
> etc.. etc..
>
>   This makes it easy, and I do it all the time.
>   One potential problem is that you'll need different application.cfm for
> each directory.

This technique may be useful in some cases, although I'm not sure that it's
worth it.  I'll probably just stick to hardcoding the ../../  etc levels in
each CFINCLUDE statement.
Thanks for the tip!

> >I have tried a variety of absolute paths and find none that work.  If
anyone
> >can shed some light on this...my host shares the CF server so asking them
> >configure a mapping for "/" is not going to happen since it would only
work
> >for my domain and not for all the other domains they host.
>
>    You can always get to the exact root directory (I.E. www.mysite.com/ )
> by using the slash.  So the code I wrote above could easily be re-written
like:

> <A HREF="/index.cfm">Home</A>
> <A HREF="/sub1/page1.cfm">Page 1</A>
>
>   And the browser sees the '/' and automatically adds it to the end of the
> url, such as www.mysite.com/index.cfm for the first link.  Try it; It
> works.  However, if the root directory of your application is not the root
> directory of your server, that won't work.

It may work for <A HREF> but not for <CFINCLUDE template=> tag.  That is the
whole point of my discussion.  CFINCLUDE is very picky...it appears it ONLY
sees relative paths or paths specified in the server mapping file.  That's
IT!  How I wish it recognized "/" as the web root, meaning the placeholder
or representative location for http://www.mydomain.com/.

Bruce