At my last full time gig, I was basically in charge of R&D, programmer help
 desk and documentation. When a request for a doc was made, I would sit with
 the person who wrote the original piece of code and interview them. Then I
 would look over the code and its results. Next step was to write up a
 document based on what I heard and saw. I presented it to the original
 programmer and he would mention any changes needed. After the changes, the
 final doc was given in.
Having a central person to do docs is a must, especially around programmers.
 Each programmer has his own style of programming, writing, speaking, etc.
 Having a central voice for the docs, especially one who can write is a
 must.