From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:53 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: OT-Managing Development Teams

At my day job, we have a software development division that is in charge
of our software and our R and D. I am a branch of that division, dealing
with the website, and distribution of information pertaining to our
software system.

Here's where things go "off the road".  Every ounce of control and
influence over documentation and distribution practices has been taken
away (over a year ago) from the development division and spread across 3
different divisions of the company that have absolutely NO development
experience, no web experiece, not even sufficient experience with our
software system. They don't even communicate with each other before
making changes. But, since they have been given absolute power over the
development team, what they say goes, even if we know it is incorrect.
It has created mass confusion, which ultimately leads to faulty and
confusing documentation.  In the end, I take the rap for it because I am
the last step in the process (publishing it to the web).

I have said in meeting after meeting that we need to re-structure the
way we handle documentation, to no avail. So, I need evidence in my
favor. I know many of you out there work for development companies that
do it right. I need to know how your chain of command works as far as
management - development - documentation and distribution.  I need to
know how much time and money your setup is saving you, so I can show
real-world examples of companies profitting from doing it right.  It is
my thinking that we need a document master, with the ultimate authority
over documentation. This person needs to be working in the development
department, know the software, the system, the website, and the
documentation. Is this thinking right? Is there an even better way?

Help, I am going to go nuts.

Thanks in advance....

Nick