He realizes that there are security problems and that's why he's asking for
help. That also implies that he doesn't really have a choice in this
matter. Sometimes it isn't a customer requirement, it's a client
requirement. I had this as a client requirement on a project before and
they were not willing to back down on this even after five developers
working for two companies told them not to do it. Here was the rationale:
"They do it on Amazon and we want to make it as easy for people as Amazon."

To answer Chad's question, hashing the credit card number might work for
you. It might work best to hash other unstored information with the credit
card number just to make it a bit more complex data set, perhaps the
expiration date. I can't recommend a specific hash function because I don't
know specifics on any of them. I just have an idea how they work. Keep in
mind that if you hash the credit card number you'll need to store the
information somewhere else for processing. It is common to show the last
four digits of the credit card number so the users can verify that they are
using the credit card they mean to use. You would have to store this
information separately from the hashed credit card.

A friend of mine was looking over my shoulder yesterday when I replied to
this thread and he was really impressed with the number of security-minded
developers involved in this discussion.

At 01:39 PM 1/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Store everything but the number and communicate with the users why yo
>u are not storing them.  Asking them to retype everything is a pain b
>ut just the CC, na, I don't think you would here anyone complain, the
>y would probably like that...

>What about return visitors that want to store their CC number?  MD5 h
>ash on
>
>the number?  then store it in the database?
>
>At 11:56 AM 1/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >here here, all we keep are the last 4 numbers.....let the banks worr

> >Don't store the credit card numbers at all.  Just process the transa
> >tion
> >immediately and store the rest of the order information.

Now available in a San Francisco Bay Area near you!
http://www.blivit.org/mr_urc/index.cfm
http://www.blivit.org/mr_urc/resume.cfm