Well, that's not an uncommon scenario.  Their idea will probably be for you
to design it, with unlimited revisions until they think it's friendly enough
(imagine if houses were built like this: the window looks ok there, but can
you move it over there?  oh, and this is covered by what I originally paid -
because the blueprint wasn't precise, it just said "make it pretty")

This is why I'm a big fan of a multi-tiered project plan:
1) wireframe the app, agree on a set of functions
2) basic design
3) prototype the app, with all UI elements, but no tie-in the database -
some rough business logic in place, but not complete
4) complete the business logic and data tier
5) final signoff and implementation

Each one is a stage, and is considered a separate contract.  They're
sequential, so the client must sign off on one before moving to the next.  I
find this very useful in many ways, particulary in managing client
expectations, and for managing costs/timelines.  Of course, it doesn't
eliminate the problem of scope creep - but allows you to isolate it to make
it more manageable (in my experience)

Undeniably, the problem with blueprints in web development is that if we
came up with a true blueprint, it'd be the final product.  As such, we have
to work our contracts with some leeway built in (ie, 25 to do this, but an
additional 10 hours tacked on for review and revision).  Plus, we have to
better educate or clients - front end design isn't an exact science, but
rather an approximate art, even though clients want a concrete price.