junkMail wrote:
> I don't get the first part of your reply.  Are you saying that the Single
> Threaded Sessions setting on the server is a bad idea because of your browsing
> habits?

No. It is a bad idea in general, but for me it is agravated because of
my browsing habits. If I open some 6 browser tabs in 2 seconds and each
one has to load 5 frames I fire 36 page requests in quick succession.
Then it makes a big difference if they are run single threaded or not.
Naturally I don't look at all of them at the same time, but if the one I
want to read first is the last to load it does give a bad impression.

> I don't believe I've ever experienced a "thread getting hung up" and
> having to restart the browser.  And what sort of a CF operation takes 20
> seconds?

Datamining/searching.

> Must be having a dull evening because I'm also confused by "run a grep on his
> logfiles." I know what grep is, but what would I be looking for?

Any error that looks like "Could not get exclusive access" (don't know
the exact error because I don't customarily use them). It gives an
indication of how often pages actually time out because other requests
are still running.

> Sorry to be a pest but, as I stated earlier on this list, I have a feeling
> that most of the fear of Single Threaded Sessions is based on CF urban legend.
> I'd welcome some real information.

I had some problems with it during a project I was involved in. It
involved full text searching on rather large datasets, which would take
up to about 50 seconds. In such a case I usually do my first search,
open a new window to do a second search and while that is running start
to open the most interesting results of the first search in new tabs.
But if you are running single threaded sessions all these new tabs,
which typically returned 1 story in about 300 ms, had to wait until the
long search has returned.

> No offense intended,

You would have to do better to offend me ;)

Jochem