> I don't think it's a multi-threaded language because it is
> not possible (to my knowledge) to start a new thread and
> have it run while the main thread continues execution, then
> notify the main thread when it's done executing. The fact
> that we need to be concerned about multi-threading comes
> into play because the server itself is multi-threaded and
> those other threads can affect the performance of a single
> thread.
>
> As I sit here I'm starting to think that CFML is neither
> mulit-threaded nor single threaded. It's somewhere in between
> because it has characteristics of both. Fractal threaded
> maybe? :-)

I think you're making this more complicated than it has to be. There are
many programming environments and APIs in which you have to be concerned
with concurrency issues, even if you're not spawning threads within your
code. You have to write "thread-safe" code. COM and CFX are two examples.
CFML (or any web development environment, for that matter) is just one more.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444