> You're talking about developers who don't use CFLOCK
> because they are ignorant of CF locking issues. I'm
> sure we all agree that this is a bad thing, but it's
> not exactly relevent to the original discussion.
>
> You can write perfectly "solid" applications that do
> not lock session variable access. Simply enable the
> Single Threaded Sessions option in the CF Administrator.

Again, we may disagree about "solidity" here. It's been my experience that
applications using this setting may have to be rewritten to handle
significant load. If you asked the people who purchased the applications
written this way, who then find out that they need to have changes made on
nearly every page - expensive at $250/hr - they'd probably object to using
the word "solid", unless they also worked in the words "steaming" and "pile"
as well.

> That's been my point from the beginning. It's not helpful
> to compare this with "sloppy" or incompetent coding.

One attribute of sloppy/incompetent coding is to avoid problem resolutions
within the code itself. That's why we have exception handlers, for example.
You could argue that, in CF, we have the site-wide error handler so we don't
need exception handlers, but I'd argue that the programmer who appropriately
uses exception handlers writes better (more competent, less sloppy) code
than the one who doesn't. A non-sloppy, competent programmer will attempt to
ensure that his program will perform optimally in whatever situation it is
run - it'll fail gracefully if some other guy doesn't configure it
correctly, or call it with the correct attributes, or whatever.

This falls within the same category. If you write an application which
relies on my configuring a server-wide performance setting, which may very
well negatively affect how all the other apps on that server will run, and
you write it this way in order to avoid adding a few lines of code here and
there, in my book that's definitely sloppy, and not necessarily competent.

Now, if you write code which you know will always be under your direct
control, and you know that you can configure the server any way you like,
and you know that the code won't have to support significant number of
users, then there's nothing wrong with omitting your locks and using that
setting. Most developers don't have those luxuries, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444