On Monday, April 29, 2002, at 12:46  PM, Neil Clark - =TMM= wrote:

> I think as I stated earlier, is that Apple / OSX is not in the
> mainstream for things like ISP's etc... So in business terms it would be
> suicidal to create an OSX version of server software which you may sell
> only a handful of units.

As I recall, we're not too far removed rom the days when  "CF was not in
the mainstream for things like ISP's. etc"

> I must admit, I have never been a fan of Macs (and yes, I have used
> them) but OS X is stable[er] than most Apple OS' I have seen/used.
>
> Itís a case of supply and demand - you have to view the stats of how
> many Windows / Linux / 'real' Unix users there are against Apple OS -
> they are overwhelming, making an OSX version harder to justifiably
> produce.

What do you define as a 'real' Unix user. CLI only... if so, why are
there several GUIs available for Unix.

OSX just has a better GUI.  The OS X CLI  is also superior... multiple,
scrollable CLI windows (copy. paste, resize. change font and size,
print, etc).

In OSX you can start/stop Apache with a mouse click.  Just because
'real' Unix is harder to use, it doesn't necessarily make it better.  If
that were true we would all be writing DOS  programs in assembler!

> Remember that Windoze, 'real' Unix etc.. are all tried and tested (and
> broken), just because Apple suddenly started to use a different approach
> to its underlying achitecture does not mean to say that it had
> underlying motives for software vendors, in fact it was probably to make
> it run faster and have less Error Type [fill the blank]

OSX's underlying architecture is BSD Unix.  On top of that they provide
Darwin (open source) and the Aqua GUI

> I also think it would be stupid for ANY software developer to start
> producing tried and tested server software for OSX as of yet.

While I think there is a good potential for server software on OSX, I'll
not argue the point.   I am more interested in the developing/testing
side of the operation...  CF, especially, opens web/database programming
to the multitudes... that's it's Forta, er, Forte.

Why not make CF programming available to millions of Mac systems...
they'll all require CF servers running on some platform (if not OS X)

To paraphrase King Gillete:  Give 'em our razors, and they'll buy our
blades!

IMO, Dick