> Well, I'm glad they're not using IIS then. However, this is
> an illustration of their inability to configure a server
> correctly, rather than an illustration of some special
> problem with IIS. I mean, this stuff is just not that hard.
> We're talking about ten minutes of initial configuration, or
> one minute if you've written a script to automate the process.

I believe that the issue with it "not being that hard" is that most
people believe that IIS is perfectly good "out of the box", so they
leave it as-is... My biggest issue is that script kiddies attack is
BECAUSE it's Microsoft - I'm not willing to take that risk

> The problem with IIS is similar to the problem with Windows -
> neither is designed to serve well as a public Internet server
> with their default configurations. If you're going to use
> Windows for public Internet servers, then you have to know
> how to configure them appropriately. The same is true for IIS.

I agree 100% - but how many companies don't...

> Yes, I'm aware of the WebSite feature set. However, I think
> you're missing my point.

I must have mis-read your email - I thought you was trying to use those
as a "selling point"...

> Those are all things that should be TURNED OFF on a production
> web server - or any internet-facing web server - that isn't
> specifically using those features. If you turn them off, you
> don't have any problems. If you do need to use those features,
> then you have to go through some hoops to ensure that they're
> set up securely.

The amount of features I've disables in WSP is pretty big - in fact we
turned off the remote config, all SSI stuff, etc. etc. it's not worth
the hassle

Philip Arnold
Technical Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer