Isaac,

Content Management, like Customer Relationship Management, tends to be used
to mean different things to different people and many clients don't
understand which aspect is important to them and why.

When I was at GE Information Services, they had two issues.  First was
balancing local control / divisional control of content to corporate
branding and quality standards and the second was a usability issue with
delivering the right content to the right employees and customers.  While
they were somewhat aware of the issues, I had to clarify it for them and
make the business case for what should come first and second.

As it turned out, managing the content creation process was the first issue
they had to solve.  Cleaning up old and conflicting pages and presentation
styles was a huge issue. This had to be accomplished keeping in mind what
was likely to be a significant move to dynamic content next.

Another client, a large insurance company, had focused on relatively fixed
content versus transactional information matched to dynamic content.  I
helped them understand the interdependencies and created the need for an
entirely different infrastructure to support the new integration
requirements.

Bottom line, they need you to help them articulate their issues first, then
help them solve them with the appropriate solutions.  If you wait for them
to deliver clearly defined requirements (which never really happens) you end
up being looked at as a commodity versus a value added partner.

Andy