RoR is super simple if you are following DHH's "blog in 15 minutes"
presentation. After that it does get considerably harder and you are,
god forbid, expected to learn something of the ruby language and the
mechanics of the rails framework.

I spent about 100 hours building an app in it earlier this year and
found that the 80/20 rule (80% of the funcitonality in 20% of the
time, remaining 20% of the funcitonality takes 80% of the time) blew
out to something like 90/10.

I had 90 of the app together in about 10 hours using the scaffolding
stuff, but when I needed to do harder stuff I had a very steep
learning curve.

So getting started in rails is very easy, trying to do stuff that
doesn't come out of the box is somewhat harder. Having said that, ruby
is a pretty mature & powerful language and there is not much you can't
do if you spend the time learning how.

There are plenty of big apps/sites out there running RoR prove its
more than a neat toy.

The biggest and most valid complaint I have heard against RoR and Ruby
generally is the breadth and maturity of the libraries for fundamental
things like HTTP and XML parsing.

What is often taken for granted in the CF community is that when you
are doing a XMLSearch or XMLParse you are using some of the most
mature, stable and power libraries out there (mostly from the Apache
Foundation). Ruby just isn't up to this level yet.

--
Mark Stanton
Gruden Pty Ltd