(I'm not Gary, but I've been recently introduced to Spring, so I think
I'll chime in.)

You can't put down Eclipse lightly, though.

Eclipse's java development tools are light years ahead of any of the CF
tools (imho). It has knowledge of the language and it's classes,  does
the autocomplety things that people like, has wizards and what not. Some
parts are a little esoteric, but it's easy to ignore what you don't
need, and slowly pick up new features.

Spring has also been an absolute pleasure to work with. Everything
(DAOs, autowiring, MVC, even a scheduler for crying out loud) that made
the slight overhead of learning it worthwhile. Speaking of, learning it
was easy, the documentation was great to the point that I have not yet
had to ask a single question on a forum or a mailing list. (Have
searched archives though). I have tried to learn various cf frameworks,
during various phases of maturity, but have walked away frustrated each
time, so it was a pleasant surprise to that a java framework, (yes, that
language about which everyone pisses and moans about being 'too hard')
was easy to pick up even after about 3 or 4 years of not doing any
active java development.

This is one of the things that frustrated me the most about CF... java
had all these really cool tools, but even though CF is build on top of
java, these tools were always for some odd reason just out of reach.
Hibernate, iBatis, things that Could Make Life Easy... always just out
of reach... and now with Spring... it takes only a few lines of XML to
get it all working.