I just wanted to point out a few things to anyone in the know.
Barry is currently doing work for me, fixing up the project he is
working on, and that he has talked about here.
I am not the original coder on this project. A contractor was brought
in for this.
For a variety of reasons, the people responsible for explaining coding
standards and reviewing code, seem to have done neither (again not
me).
The contractor was sold to us as a 'senior developer' with extensive
experience.
The contractor in question has, to my knowledge, never posted to this
list, so no one here is likely to know him/her.
The contractor in question does not do CF work anymore. (there IS a
God!)
I have worked previously on this project a little, after the original
contractor but before Barry. Most of my time was spent equally pulling
my hair out and fixing mind bogglingly stupid code.
Barry was warned before he started that the code he would be working
on was very bad. (clearly he thought I was exagerating!)
This project was not a badly evolved and misbegotten prototype
stretched beyond its life or intent. This was a built from scratch,
designed, prototyped project, with screen layouts, business rules,
etc, and a very healthy original development schedule. Admittedly, the
original documentation was messy and not well layed out, but it was
all there and there were also people to ask if anything wasn't clear.

I just wanted to point these things out as I didn't want anyone to
think for 1 second that I was responsible for this awful code, and I
also didn't want anyone considering doing work for us (we're hiring!)
to be concerned that this was the norm or even a small chunk of the
type of code we have.
It is a single, one off, really painfully awful piece of code amongst
a sea of otherwise average code.

Regards
Darren