Hi Kai/Eliseo,

I agree with you guys... it seems decent CF developers are few and far
between... yet we seem to struggle to find 1) positions with a chance
to be creative 2) positions where you will be groomed professionally
3) pay more than helpdesk support 3

Personally some of the apps I write, probably save us literally a fair
bit of money and add alot of value to my organisation as well (I doubt
any other school in AU/NZ has a blogging platform that comes close to
ours at the moment. Or how our integration stuff save us paying the
vendors their exorbant rates for "customizing" their <<Insert
expletive here>> databases) Yet i am paid less than helpdesk support
lvl 2 (though I am only coming up to my 2 years working full time here
and total. In the long run I might consider doing DB admin (as they
easily earn 50% more of what I am doing but alot less interesting
work), nah just kidding probably go crazy looking after DB as a FT
job... sick of looking after the few I have to babysit atm. /end rant

I have been seeing this ad on seek.com.au that wanted a 9+ year
commercial experience CF developer and only offering around 90k
package as far as I can remember, they also had a fairly hard to come
by wishlist... Its been there a few months and I expect it to be there
for another few at least...

> I once read an article written by a well-known business consultant here
> in NZ and he was saying it wasn't worth it to pay people higher than average
> salaries, it wasn't worth it to give them an annual salary increase exceeding
> CPI etc and that his recommendation would be to always get juniors in,
> train them up and then - even if they leave after one year - just get
> another junior in to replace the person. Seriously - I think it's
> absolutely the wrong approach - but that's me. Yes, a company with a certain
> size would need a certain percentage of junior developers to work more
> efficiently and to ensure there are new people coming up.
>
> Any opinions - really interested in hearing other people's thoughts!\

I hope this guy is well known for spewing rubbish... most business
owners/managers should know, the cost of hiring someone new and bring
them up to speed far exceeds the cost of losing someone who already
knows your system and processes and is a good employee... losing good
staff because you only want to pay peanuts is how to lose your talent
pool and your competitive edge.

Just my 2 cents.