Angel,

I was very much like you in that respect a few years ago... My wife
still doesn't understand that I need my mental gears to be constantly
grinding... I think she's only just starting to warm up to the idea of
my geekiness after seeing my blog about the Candidate-Recruiter
dynamic today and commented at how clever and insightful I was...

<plug type="gratuitous">
http://recruiting-dos-and-donts.blogspot.com/
</plug>

True, sometimes not having had the time to work on those personal
projects can be somewhat detrimental. I have an unfinished mysetry
novel, a non-fiction book about fundamentalist interpretation of the
Bible also unfinished, as well as a Unicode transcription application
and a project application called the HSX Seer, all in the pipe-
works...

I may not have completed any of these, but I mention them and the blog
in my CV; and if anyone asks me about these items, I can easily
describe these projects for at least a minute and a half; because
generally that's all you have to explain a personal project to someone
before they may start to lose interest.

I lost track of my Recruitment blog for about 2 months, and lost...
well I didn't really lose any audience at that stage as they didn't
really appear until March... but that's not the point ;) As long as
there is some mention in your own CV it is bound to raise some
interest... Or slipping it into some general conversation... so long
as you can dumb it down for the non-techs...

Yes, you do have to take a stance... Imagine if Martin Luther King had
said "I have a dream, but I have a feeling you don't want to hear
about it."

If you feel strongly about your ideas, have it mentioned somewhere
like me on your CV under personal interests or personal projects...
Clients look at these at some point and do take notice... but if you
can back up these references in the CV to a short spiel, they will
believe that you are passionate about your coding...

I think I must have done something right at my interview, as I
mentioned the HSX Seer and my transcription program, and he decided to
forgo the technical quiz! LOL

-- Eliseo