Well, before you get too excited, be careful that you're not
misunderstanding the report. The memory reported there is NOT for the
current request, but rather for the entire CF server. So that number alone
isn't too meaningful. But if it ROSE by 32 meg when you ran a request, that
would be different (but even then you can't be positive that a given request
caused the rise. Other things can be running to increase memory besides the
request you're running.)

Rather than view the memory in the stack trace, to observe how it's changing
over time, I'd recommend instead you watch either the graphical interface
they offer for the memory graph, or view the info in the resource-x.log
file, both of which report it at 5 second intervals.

But if that indeed is a stack trace of the call to the web service, notice
the top line which says:

java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

That would be the kind of thing (a native method) that CF's request timeout
feature can't interrupt normally, but again I have confirmed that in my test
where the TIMEOUT of a CFINVOKE webservice call works, it is indeed timing
out while sitting in that same state. My assertion is that CF has added some
additional timeout callback mechanism in such a case, which it doesn't do as
a matter of course on other code. Makes sense to me.

The question is why it doesn't timeout for you--but that will be the thing
to confirm now. When you have a request that you see runs long, and you KNOW
it has a timeout, if you sit there refreshing the stack trace, does it
remain in this socketread0 method beyond that timeout time? It doesn't for
me. :-)

/charlie