Matthew mentions the challenge of getting thread dumps in this later note.
Just to clarify (as I wrote my last note before reading this one), the
"thread dump" referred to here is in fact the same general idea as the stack
trace I referred to. The good news again, if you use any of the 3 monitors,
is that it's just a push-button operation, or you can even get it sent to
you in an email when a problem situation is detected (in FusionReactor and
CF8 Monitor,  I know).

Different folks use "thread dump" and "stack trace" to mean the same thing,
or they can differ. In my sense of the words (and which FusionReactor and
the CF8 Monitor uses), a thread dump is a stack trace for every thread, and
a stack trace for one thread is what tells you what line of code is running
and what java objects/methods are being called on the basis of that line of
code.

Without those tools, as has been alluded to here, you can get a full thread
dump by some other methods that are a bit more complicated, and then you
have to hunt through them to find the stack trace for a thread of interest.
All doable, just easier with the CF monitor tools. Hope that's helpful.

To answer your last question, Matthew, the ability to view how large
variables are (or all vars in a given scope) is something that's enabled
only in the CF8 Monitor (which runs only on CF8 Enterprise and Developer,
sadly). Neither FusionReactor nor SeeFusion will tell you. There are also
ways to get at the information by using the undocumented objects like
coldfusion.runtime.SessionTracker. A google search for those will turn up
ways to access that info.

/charlie