MSFT is doing a lot for .NET and Silverlight in NZ - pre-sales events from
vendors, technical seminars for 2 hrs where folks on the CIO/CTO level are
invited and attend etc, they invite you to free training events local and even
oversees - and that's how you get a company to jump on a technology - decision
makers are just humans after all. I'm not saying Adobe is NOT doing anything,
they just don't do it for CF but rather for LC and Creative Suite and that _is_
a local office's decision imho. One example is a series of breakfast talks in
hotels on the LC technology stack in AU/NZ - really cool event (I was at the
Wellington one back then) and it brought the right folks to the event - exactly
those managers mentioned above - speakers were Adobe people and other folks
who've deployed and built solutions on LC (in AU).

I agree with a lot of what Mark and Robin are saying, it's _also_ up to a
community, but it's clear to me that Adobe is not putting the effort in they
could and do for other technologies in the local markets when it comes to CF.
That's really all I'm saying - and I doubt there's anything we can do about it.

Cheers
Kai

> What are other companies out there doing? I.e. have people had experience
> with MS knocking on their door? Or any other platform? Anyone know first hand?
>
> (I'm still waiting for the PHP evangelists to come knocking).
>
> Mark
>
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM, KC Kuok <kck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Eliseo & Mike
>
> Yeah I track jobs about once a week to see how the market is
> travelling, TBH in australia it does not seem that it is improving or
> disappearing, its just stagnant atm, it is definitely not experiencing
> this explosive growth of CF jobs/dev chart that gets thrown about the
> past 2 years... In anycase i reckon most are indie Flex devs using CF
> as a backend, probably in the EU and USA where Railo and Adobe have
> major exposure.
>
> @ Mark & Others RE:Quesntion of how Adobe could do more to push CF
>
> I think CF needs more effort in Australia. Could start with pushing
> the entire platform (LifeCycle/CF and Flex front end), with the pros
> and cons. Maybe subsidise larger CF Houses like Daemon and Rocketboots
> to do like mini presentations to MANAGEMENT level people on CF.
> how they can do a project they wanted, but didnt have the
> "resources" (as in development time) and how LC/CF with Flex can
> overcome that.
>
> E.g. everyone knows Andrew Spaulding is part of Adobe Consultancy ANZ
> for Flex, but how many on the list know (if they exist) the people for
> CF and LifeCycle?
>
> Also another Idea i had is to have startups get a discount or rebate
> if they put a logo on their about page, like some cool CF badge that
> says "Powered by Adobe Coldfusion", Railo could also do the same
> "powered by Railo Coldfusion"
>
> Railo could also do its part by setting up shop (or a presence) in
> Australia maybe as a 2 or 3 year project, to see how it goes.
>
> I reckon Red Hat has done well pushing its agenda in this part of the
> world.
>
> Conferences and UGs are all good for the CF community but it doesn't
> really make anyone pick up CF if they are not using CF already...
>
> BTW does anyone know is there any CF consultancy office (i.e.
> Rocketboots, Daemon) based out of melb? I have heard of a few hybrid
> one, was just thinking that day about any big CF consultancy houses in
> melbourne and couldnt really put my finger on it.
>
> PS:I know a few that offer a range including CF, just not focused on
> CF like the forementioned 2 companies.
>
> In the end it comes down to this, if Adobe does not push CF hard in
> ANZAC region, people who actually signs the cheques will assume that
> CF is dying because the company that owns it can't be bothered to sell
> it.
>
> Chong
>
> On May 26, 1:44 pm, Eliseo Dannunzio <eliseo.dannun...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Mike, I don't know where you've been looking but there have been jobs
> [...]

Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 /  +61 450 132 117
web: http://www.ventego-creative.co.nz
blog: http://www.bloginblack.de
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/agentK

Hands-on Regular Expression training @ webDU 2010