" I should
be allowed to share some details on our strategy for ColdFusion X
(albeit under NDA)."

I think this is one of the problems with CF, with competing technologies
(especially OSS) you often know what is coming in the next release before
development is even started on it.

I've had management ask me before whats in the next release will the product
have x like xyz product already has and its always the same answer "adobe
isn't going to tell us or hint for another year"

I'd rather Adobe tell us what will be in it and then at release time tell us
what ended up being left out then being all secretive about implementing
stuff that is usually already in competing products out on the market, then
at the last minute telling us whats in it.

NDA's etc are really pointless, the competition will go to any conference
and know whats in it, clients will be more happy knowing what might get left
out then what is in it at the last minute.

this is where companies like Railo are starting to leave CF behind, you
actually speak to the developers of the product and they'll tell you "oh
thats good we'll look at implementing that in one of the next releases."

CF "I can't talk about it or exactly when in 2 years time the next release
will be".

CF needs smaller more frequent releases, just like 9.0.1