This is probably going to start a firestorm, but it's important to have an opposing view voiced so no one thinks MIME::Lite is fit to be tarred & feathered.

We use MIME::Lite here a lot w/o any problems and certainly without thinking it's horrendous. I will say that we don't do a whole lot of email volume, but there's something about its API that resonates with my style of coding, moreso than the alternatives you mentioned below.

I actually evaluated the different options over 5 years ago[1] and while it seems apropos to update my review, after looking at the API docs of the modules you mention, I still come to the same conclusion.

I like to create an object, optionally with some config data, be able to later set the config date and then call a method upon the object to get something done.

Looking at Email::Simple and Email::MIME: those both look like parsing emails. So that leaves Email::Send and Email::Stuff.

Email::Send doesn't have parameterized configuration, which just seems odd to me. You put together the complete message in one big string and then Email::Send magically does the rest.

Email::Stuff does have parameterized configuration, but it seems to chain it all together, which, again, seems odd to me.

If you're maintaining MIME::Lite, can't you improve it so it's not horrendous? Or provide the same API styles for better modules? There's something to be said about ugly code that's easy to develop with vs. beautiful code that makes you work harder.

- Jason

[1]: http://use.perl.org/~Purdy/journal/1182

Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
* George Hartzell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-09-06T19:43:33]
Have you looked at MIME::Lite or Net::SMTP, which make it pretty darn
easy to send a message?  If they're not what you need, tell us why and
maybe someone can make a better suggestion.

Hi, I'm MIME::Lite's maintainer.

Please don't use it.  It's horrendous in a good number of ways.  Consider, in
order of increasing featurefulness:

  * Email::Stuff
  * Email::Simple / Email::MIME + Email::Send
  * Mail::Message