>  What is different about what Fama said was that nobody can get an edge
because prices are always accurate, all the time.

However, if Bachelier's  "the mathematical expectation of the speculator is
zero" statement holds for a market then, literally, the expectation is that
the speculator cannot outperform that market.

> Sorry-- I learned economics at Father Guido Sarducci's Five Minute
University. He issued degrees after teaching in five minutes (including
spring break and grad pictures) what an average university student
> remembers five years after graduating. (Saturday Night Live skit)

:)

> When Jose offered an example of Hillary’s trading and it was dismissed
out of hand by Raul because she is a politician—I mentioned the 1987 crash
hoping it could lead to a discussion of how that was interpreted by the EMH
theory.

Right, but her record is her record regardless of how she might be
characterized; he, eventually, got it,

> > Ultimately that is beside the point, regardless of one's perception on
the
> > article's unbiasedness or bias in one direction or another, her trading
> > record stands (unless one is prepared to assume that herself, the IRS,
the
> > Chicago Mercantile Exchange, the New York Times, the Wall Street
Journal,
> > etc. were jointly conspiring to fulfill some mysterious nefarious
purpose).

> Fair enough.

at least to some extent.

> My colleague did well using my program, increasing his initial
investment  160% in a year--not nearly as good as Hillary.

Do you know what happened afterward?  Did he retire from the markets as a
clear winner, as she did?

> incorporated into prices in short order. Therefore I don’t know why the
author of “the paper of which you are fond” chose the weak rather than
semi-strong form.

Recall, the information related to the three forms is nested:

Weak - Past Prices (and Volumes)  <  Semi-Strong - All public Information
<  Strong - All Public and Private Information

So, if one falsifies the Weak form then necessarily follows that the
Semi-Strong and Strong forms are also falsified.  How can one falsify the
Weak form?  By consistently outperforming the market (on a risk-adjusted
basis) using a trading strategy based only on past prices (and perhaps
volumes) or, in principle, by assuming that this is not possible and find a
contradiction.  Unfortunately, if one succeeds only using the latter
approach is akin to say: I am sure that one can outperform the market
consistently but I have no idea how it can be done.

The paper,

Markets are efficient if and only if P = NP
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1002.2284.pdf

is, in my opinion, an interesting one.

However, at least a couple of us (one of which is a CFA) are very skeptical
of all hype being associated to it in this thread; not to mention
the authoritative statements such as, (the paper) "shows that even the weak EMH
is mathematically implausible" which is baffling at best.

> A random walk model predicts that all future values will equal the last
observed value.

Depending on what someone's concept of "predicts" might be, the phrase
above could induce a misconception.  One form to present it is as follows:
a random walk model stating that the sequence of (discounted) security
prices is a martingale would support the weak-form of the EMH.

> This is the rather convoluted paper...

I appreciate your research, I almost had forgotten that paper, I read it
three decades ago but I enjoyed reading it again.  Thank you :)