BIG DATA

Raul said:

>> That said, for practical reasons (even ignoring regulations) it's not
>
>> possible to extract all meaning from historical data.

The meaning of life?

>>> “Well, it's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating
>>> fat, read <https://www.moviequotes.com/topic/reading/> a good book every
>>> now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and
>>> harmony with people of all creeds and nations
>>> <https://www.moviequotes.com/topic/nation/>.”
>
>> This is
>
>> especially true in high monetary velocity contexts. There isn't enough
>
>> time to perform more than superficial calculations.

HFT is falling off because once they overtook most of the market there wasn’t
money to be made through high speed trades.

Fama says prices reflect all information (variously: available, relevant, WF
historic prices or prices and volume, SSF history + news, SF history, news and
private information.

Saying that in an efficient market prices “fully reflect” available information
is so vague that can’t be empirically tested.

There is a comparative advantage conferred by differences in information held
by competing investors. Information that is universally available cannot
provide the basis for profitable trading rules.

> Fidelity Investments has quietly built up a team of nearly 140 data geeks.

> "Between the dawn of civilization and 2003, we only created five exabytes;
> now we're creating that amount every two days. By 2020, that figure is
> predicted to sit at 53 zettabytes (53 trillion gigabytes) -- an increase of
> 50 times. Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt

Of course 78% of all statistics are made up—and you know 78% is made up because
it should follow the 80/20 rule

> It would be ideal if we could have an uncontrolled flow of information. -
> Poindexter, former Director of DARPA Information Awareness Office

The key is what information is actually relevant to assists decision makers—how
much value can be derived from the information, how much cost is there to
finding the information where it lives and how much does it cost to use it—do
we even need it?