So I was bored and I came up with a simple p2p network idea. Here it is.

A network consists of nodes and a central inform server. When a node
starts it registers with the inform server.

Clients read the list of nodes from the inform server. They hash the
address of each node.

To insert a file:

        split file into small chunks
        hash each chunk
        insert each chunk to node with closest hash
        insert redundant chunks

To request a file, for each chunk hash, request it from the closest node.
If any chunks fail, use the redundant chunks to reconstruct the data,
and reinsert the missing chunks.

I'm writing the server code today (around a select() call, btw) and I'm
going to write a part-assembling client proxy as soon as possible.

Is anyone interested in testing this? It's not as magical as Freenet,
which means it stands a good chance of actually working.

--
"...it must be held that third-party electronic monitoring, subject
only to the self-restraint of law enforcement officials, has no place