On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:24:11 -0700 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian
Clarke) writes:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 03:20:02PM -0400, Aaron Guy Davies wrote:
> > This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask someone:
> would a
> > standard webmail site, ie Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., if accessed
> *entirely*
> > thru anonymizing proxies, from account setup on, be considered
> securely
> > anonymous?
>
> It depends on the anonymity of the anonymizing proxy, but with a
> robust
> anonymizing proxy, which routed through several independent
> machines, I
> see no reason why not.
>
> Ian.

In my experience Hotmail and Iwon mail and other webmail systems don't
like anonymizers such as Safeweb.  I can't get them to work at all.  I
can't log into my account, create a new account, or anything.  They just
don't work.

As for secure email, well, I KNOW for a fact that hotmail and Iwon are
not secure, they don't use SSL or anything like that.  So if you want to
have secure email send/recieve while also being anonymouse, I would
suggest that you don't use webmail.