From: "Jay Tamboli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I wonder if any ISP's would forbid a user from running
>a node, provided that node doesn't constantly saturate a
>broadband connection.

My ISP has an explicit policy forbidding the use of 'servers'. They
clarified this to me as meaning any piece of automatic software that accepts
incoming TCP connections and sends out data.

It remains to be seen whether they will 'deem' my freenet node to be a
'server'.
It's almost inevitable they will.

But all the OSPs in New Zealand seem particularly timid when dealing with
complaints from overseas.
In my experience, all local OSPs assume that if a complaint comes in, then
the subscriber is automatically guilty.
The look at the bottom line - a subscriber's business is worth $30-60/month
gross, while a court case can cost tens of thousands.

So anyone would be able to shut down my node permanently.
All they would have to do is write to my ISP accusing me of distributing
illegal materials. My ISP would write to me with a warning. Then the hostile
person could write to my ISP a week later making the same accusation. My ISP
would then pull the plug, without making any attempt to confirm whether the
accusation is true or not.

So needless to say, I do like the upcoming 0.4 feature of shadowing nodes
behind other nodes.

David