On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:10:08PM -0400, Evan Daniel wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Matthew Toseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > When you say "part of more than one darknet," are you referring to
> > > separate clusters within one large network, or entirely divorced
> > > networks?
> >
> > Divorced networks.
>
> So, does that mean I have to run separate nodes, and participate in
> different sets of groupthink manually?  Isn't that asking a *lot*?
>
> Also, suppose I decline to vote on a particular item (or decline to
> vote in general)?  Does my node participate in the correlation attack?

Your node will normally participate if the vote around that node is
successful. Your vote is only one that your node would consider. Since
votes are public, the network can determine whether your node is doing
what it is supposed to be doing. This is "cost of doing business". You
can refuse, but that would likely result in your node's expulsion.

>  If so, why on earth would I want it doing that?  If not, don't you
> need to get rather high involvement?  Do I take the blame for the
> objectionable content too in that case?  If so, that seems likely to
> produce truly rabid groupthink.  If not, it seems unlikely to work.

> > > If I'm running an illegal freenet node, that means I'm willing to risk
> > > the chance of being prosecuted for one count of whatever crime they
> > > make it.  It doesn't mean I'm also willing to risk prosecution for 238
> > > counts of knowingly allowing my computer to transmit child porn.  As
> > > best I can tell, the law is reasonably tolerant of "I did everything I
> > > could reasonably be expected to do" as a defense.  If the network is
> > > such that I can't easily do anything about child porn, and there's no
> > > evidence I personally looked at or posted it, then I'm at least
> > > somewhat optimistic about avoiding prosecution.  If I actively failed
> >
> > Really? If there is primary legislation making it a crime to run a node,
> > that will presumably make it far easier to convict you of related crimes..
>
> Why should it?  In many cases the legal system is more sane than that.
>  If I'm pulled over for speeding, that doesn't make it much easier for
> them to find the body in the trunk.  And if it turns out I'm driving a
> stolen car, and the body was in there without my knowledge, they're
> likely to have to find additional evidence to accuse me of murder
> instead of just grand theft auto.  How is this legally different?
> (I'm sure there's something illegal about being in possession of the
> body, but I'd be really surprised if you could convict for murder on
> just that without showing eg motive).

Well, if you accidentally kill someone during a robbery, you'll usually
go down for murder in most states; that's all I was thinking of.

--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]