Aaron, et al --

...and then krepta at juno.com said...
%
% On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:55:18 -0600 Timm Murray <hardburn at runbox.com>
% writes:
% > > that supposedly lets you record DVD disks with only a regular CDR
% > or CDRW
% >
% > Most likely, they're just using some lossy compression like DivX to
% > get the
% > movie down to CD-R size.  DivX is freely available right now.

Right.  I don't know if VCD (video CD) is DivX or not, but I know of it.

>..
%
% Well, sounds to me like DVD is way better than DivX.  Why would anyone
% want to make a CD-Movie recording out of a DVD?

Because you might not want to have to pay for the DVD, of course.

I'm interested in VCD for turning out tapes into CDs to play in our DVD
player and save the space in the cabinet.  I've never seen a VCD and
don't know how it compares to DVD (probably not well) or tape (might be
just as good); I haven't taken the time to do the tinkering or spend
something like $8 for a movie in VCD format.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg at justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork at justpickone.org