I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that elite producers will not win
the content-control battle.

why?:

1. asymmetrical bandwidth access--consumers can't run servers; download
speeds much higher than ul speeds; use of virtual private networks to
reduce content-serving by end-users, etc.

2. ISP bottlenecks and Akamai-like 'distributed networking'- that manages
bandwidth resources for big content providers, etc.

3. generally, the end of common-carriage and the vertical integration of
infrastructure ownership and content distribution (ala AOL/TW).

4. digital rights management (DRM) and 'trusted systems' deployment. It
will be an Xbox world in which users are dumb termini for content consumption.

5. Utilization of new media as surveillance tools by producers: Passport
and 'authentication services.'

6. Utilization of new media for surveillance by law enforcement sans
judicial oversight (USAPATRIOT ACT)

7. generally, all of this aimed at information enclosure aided by the
expansion of intellectual property rights.

8. The fortuitousness of the 'war on terror' to expand governmental
controls of new media uses. This, in turn, is supported by elite producers
who see in Freenet-like protocols an understandable danger to info-control.

There are many other points one could make here. Historically, elite
control of emerging media has been the norm. I cannot emphasize enough that
such control over the techniques of speech has been central to control over
other productive resources. On this crucial point, Anthony Giddens has much
to say. 'Counterhegemonic' uses of technologies of speech in modernity have
been seldom and sporadic at best. Are new media different in this regard?

For an excellent account of the history of elite control of communication:
See BRIAN WINSTON, MEDIA TECHNOLOGY AND SOCIETY: A HISTORY: FROM THE
TELEGRAPH TO THE INTERNET (1998).

Also, ANTHONY GIDDENS, A CONTEMPORARY CRITIQUE OF HISTORICAL MATERIALISM
(1995).

For the legal critique, see YOCHAI BENKLER http://www.law.nyu.edu/benklery/

KevinA:

With the reality that copy protection is going to fail and the fact that
once everyone gets high speed internet connections entire movies will we
able to be swapped much like music is now, does content on demand TV have
a future?  My theory is that it might because if people can get the show
they want when they want with little to no cost then why will the average
joe bother hunting down the video on file sharing services?

As I side note does anyone here believe that the Recording Industry does
*not* deserve to die.

KevinA