On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:54:27 -0500 (EST) Kevin Atkinson
<kevin at atkinson.dhs.org> writes:
> I am going to try once again to start an intelligent conversation.
> If
> this develops into a flame war I'm out of here.

Sounds good so far. :)

> With the reality that copy protection is going to fail and the fact
> that
> once everyone gets high speed internet connections entire movies
> will we
> able to be swapped much like music is now, does content on demand TV
> have
> a future?  My theory is that it might because if people can get the

I think Content on Demand has a future.  Thats what freenet is.  But TV,
hmmm, I dunno.  Advertisers really want people to watch thier stuff at
particular times of day or night, or during special events like the Super
Bowl.  They will try hard to keep things the way they are for as long as
possible.  But I personaly would LOVE TV on Demand.  Just pick a show I
want to watch and watch it.  Thats why I want TIVO or that Microsoft box
for digital TV recording.

> show
> they want when they want with little to no cost then why will the
> average
> joe bother hunting down the video on file sharing services?

Well now, there is a good question.  If you have Tivo or something, and
you have cheap cable or satalite TV, why hunt for files to play on your
PC?  I dunno.  Maybe it's just a matter of taste.

> As I side note does anyone here believe that the Recording Industry
> does
> *not* deserve to die.

I believe the Recording Industry, which includes Movie and Music
distributors should die.  I also think that Software Distributors should
die, and book publishers too.  I think that an author or creator of
content should be able to easily distribute thier stuff to people and
make a very good living from a Gift Economy.  If you like an artist, give
that artist money, so you can keep getting the content that you like from
that artist. :)

I think that the only good way to make the Recording Industry die is to
only participate in a gift economy, whether you are a creator or a user.
I don't think legal battles are gonna get anyone anywhere.

Of course, I don't think this applies to anyone who did NOT create the
content, such as distributors or CopyRight owners.  Just because you own
the copyright, doesn't mean you had anything to do with the makeing of
the content.  I also don't think that the families of dead people should
continue to recieve royalties for the things that the dead people made.
I mean, is the dead person gonna come back and make more content for us
to enjoy?  No?  Then why continue paying?!

But, a gift economy is a gift economy, and if you wanna give to the
family of a dead creator, go ahead.  I won't try to stop ya. :)