-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of I. M. Shrejk
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 1:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] oil consumpsion

I am sorry, but I have not been following the "oil consumption" topic that
closely.  However, some of the recent answers started me wondering about the
two Oldsmobiles I also own.  Both are the "Y" type 307 CID engines.  If
anyone has owned one of these they know they run forever.  These are
everyday drivers.

Anyway, in both cases, the engines started excessive oil burning after
overheating.  One blew a lower radiator hose and my son didn't shut it off
until steam started coming out under the car.

In the other case, I was cruising along the interstate and my temperature
guage started climbing and ended up in the red zone.  I shut it off when I
noticed a leak in the thermostat gasket.  I bought a couple gallons of
Prestone which got me to my destination.  Again, I stopped when the temp
climbed into the red area and added 50:50 antifreeze to the overfill tank.

My conclusion was that the rings were shot so I just keep putting oil in as
required.  Before these disasters, I could go 2000 miles without adding oil.
  Now it is a quart every 300 to 500 miles depending upon the type of
driving.

Does anyone think that this could be something as simple as worn valve
seals?  If so, is there any way to inspect them or check them without
removing the springs?

.