I agre with clint.   Behind the torque of a big block 3.31 or 3.55 will
work nicely, especially with an OD.    I have a s/b with 700r4 and 3.31,
 my seat of the pants feeling is for my  combo 3.55 would be better.
Question though, if you drop lower than the 3.73,  will you need a new
carrier?

rick schaefer
http://members.home.net/jimmy4/rick1972elky.html
http://chevelles.com/showroom/ricks%20motor%20-L