>if anyone at all was wondering, right now with the 4.10's & TH400 & 28"
>tires, the car turns 3700 RPMs at 80 mph.  I still can't believe that it gets
>15 mpg at that rate either.  I was thinking I could improve that a little
>more and still do 100' burnouts :)  Since like I said it does make a lot of
>road trips that are in excess of 100 miles.  I also don't feel like ordering
>a new carrier, thats why I said 3.73.  I also won't use a set of used gears,
>thats why I have to change them in the first place.  The 4.10's in it are
>used and whines so loud its not funny.  I guess that's what I get for buying
>a done rear.

OK here's the old hot rodder's take on rear axle ratios and trannys. Keep
the TH-400 and get a 3.73 gear set. Why not do the four speed?. You could
get your 400 rebuilt and shift kitted twice before you could pay for the
700....granted the 700 is a very good tranny, but it may be more expensive
in the long run if you race it much. I think it's best to be at or less
than 3K when cruising the highways. The 3.42 10 bolt is what all the G-body
guys strive for, but If I could change my 3.08 tomorrow, I'd go 3.73. I
drive the freeways about 40 miles a day and cruising at 80 runs 3k on the
tach. Mileage? Who cares, I didn't buy my car to get good mileage, that's
what "TowRopers" are for....:)

Kelly C. Hanna
www.hannawoodworks.com