Thanks Dale.  I think mine is a wide ratio Muncie as well.  Although I
haven't checked the numbers on it yet, from the input shaft it looks like
an M-20.  My car is still an auto with the TH400, but I'm doing the
conversion to a 4spd.  Haven't really gotten that started yet......still
collecting parts, but it sounds like I might be able to stick with the rear
gear I have.  I think it's somewhere in the 2.79-3.07 neighborhood.

My Malibu was a grocery-getter from the factory.  I think it started life
as a 350 2 barrel?, TH350 auto and was gold exterior with a black vinyl
top.  Now it's a 396/TH400, soon to be 4spd, primer gray and I tore off the
vinyl roof to repair some rust.

As many of you have said, this car is taking much more time and money then
first planned, but Oh Well!  I love the beast!

Matt