Cliff is well liked on the Oldsmobile list and has a great site for the
Brand-O fans at http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~csimpson/TheOldsZone.html

Also, Cliff the Malibu looks great! The first difference I noticed in the
old photo is the wheel covers.

To poke at your questions (this won't hurt a bit):

1) is anyone reproing the low washer fluid light setup.  I cut the fibre
optic cable off years ago but would like to restore it.

If just the cable is cut, isn't a piece of fiber optic a piece of fiber
optic? I'm inclined to think that something can be rigged, though I have
never seen one of these units.

2) will just any old 350 valve covers look correct?  Again, it has fancy
aluminum ones that I'd like to toss in favour of stockers.

I can't tell you if there was a specific color or decals on the covers that
year/model, but any SBC covers from that era will fit as long as you haven't
modified the valve train.

3) the cover underneath the steering wheel seems to "rub" is this
indicative of a problem or something I missed replacing when I swapped it
in?  Functionally it seems fine.  Just annoying.

Sorry, can't help you much there. Is it making a noise? Have you tried
dropping the column down and looking for signs of wear?

Well, I guess none of that was very informative. Did I mention that Cliff is
a great guy?

John Nasta
Old Car Network
http://oldcarnetwork.com