Sure wouldn't be worth that much to me. Maybe half what he's asking?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 11:45 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Is it worth it??

Hi everyone,

First let me say that I have enjoyed all of the advice and postings here for a long time. This is the 1st time I have actually posted to the list. I would like to get some opinions on a 66 Malibu I am thinking about purchasing to do a frame off restoration of. It is a 2 door Malibu hardtop and is in fairly rough shape. It basically needs rear quarters, hood, trunk lid, doors, floors, & trunk metal. The interior with the exception of the dash needs to be replaced. It also needs a new windshield. The motor and tranny would be coming out so I'm not even considering them (a 350 backed by a powerglide). Essentially the car needs to be completely done. There is no evidence of frame damage that I could find and the car is all original although in terrible shape. I checked all the numbers (VIN & cowl tag) and everything looks to be in order and original except for the motor. I can do all of the mechanical work myself at home ( I have a job that permits me a lot of free time) but I am not a welder and probably will have to farm most of the body work out. I realize that just the replacement body panels alone will cost a few thousand dollars. The guy is asking $2600 for the car & I think I can get it cheaper.

I'm unsure of what to do because these cars are becoming more rare by the day and everyone I do find has already been restored and have large price tags. Is a car this rough worth that much (not being an SS) as it is?? I will be building this car to drive and not worried about making money on it at a later time!

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts you may have!