George,
    Sounds like too much for the amount that you are going to have to put into it to me. I haven't been looking for a car like this to buy for several years, but I am sure there is good bodies that won't need so much work for a lot less. Since I am on this list, I will be more in tune to what is on the market again. I just last night talked to a guy that had a 65 Impala 4 door for sale that was in real nice condition. If I had room for it, it would have been in my shop tonight. He was asking $2,800.00 for it but said he would take 2500. 283, 3sp on the column, SS Chevy wheels, and lots more that was nice. My point is that I think this 66 is too much. But there again if it is what you are looking for and how bad you want it and if you want to put that much money and work into it...  Just my .02   .........
 Ðäññÿ ..............
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 12:45 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Is it worth it??

Hi everyone,

First let me say that I have enjoyed all of the advice and postings here for a long time. This is the 1st time I have actually posted to the list. I would like to get some opinions on a 66 Malibu I am thinking about purchasing to do a frame off restoration of. It is a 2 door Malibu hardtop and is in fairly rough shape. It basically needs rear quarters, hood, trunk lid, doors, floors, & trunk metal. The interior with the exception of the dash needs to be replaced. It also needs a new windshield. The motor and tranny would be coming out so I'm not even considering them (a 350 backed by a powerglide). Essentially the car needs to be completely done. There is no evidence of frame damage that I could find and the car is all original although in terrible shape. I checked all the numbers (VIN & cowl tag) and everything looks to be in order and original except for the motor. I can do all of the mechanical work myself at home ( I have a job that permits me a lot of free time) but I am not a welder and probably will have to farm most of the body work out. I realize that just the replacement body panels alone will cost a few thousand dollars. The guy is asking $2600 for the car & I think I can get it cheaper.

I'm unsure of what to do because these cars are becoming more rare by the day and everyone I do find has already been restored and have large price tags. Is a car this rough worth that much (not being an SS) as it is?? I will be building this car to drive and not worried about making money on it at a later time!

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts you may have!