Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 7:55 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] High Amp Alternator Upgrade=3 wire vs. one wire set up

 This question applies to my 67 Chevelle Malibu with 383 stroker engine. I have a 63 amp alternator now. It has the 3 wire with external voltage regulator set up=original style set up.

I noticed that when I drive the 67 Chevelle at night with headlights on, the voltage meter drops from 14 to 12  volts(or 10-11 at idle), and one time the idiot generator light came on. I am planning to add a stereo system plus maybe an electric fan to my radiator. So I know I have to upgrade to a High Amp alternator. I was planning to go with a 138 High Amp alternator that uses the original three wire set up. I understand with this set up I can have both the idiot lights and separate after market guages--which I currently have.

My question is first comment on drop in voltage above.

Second, do I just stick with the 3 wire, High AMp Alternator at 138 amps. Or go to a one wire set up with the same 138 Amp alternator. Is there a significant performance gain in a one wire set up over the original 3 wire set up ? Note: The external voltage regulator is new.

Thanks,

Ken McDee

Do you Yahoo!?