I'm trying to figure out if the 12 bolt under my '72 El Camino is the one that came with the car. I got under it with a wire brush and knocked off a lot of dirt and grease. My "Catalog of Chevelle, Malibu and El Camino ID Numbers, 1964-1978" says "It is located on the bottom of the left or right axle tube adjacent to the differential carrier housing." I brushed the tubes down to a rough state (down to paint but not bare metal). I did not find the code. So here are my questions:
1) Is this code stamped in the axle tube? Or is it painted? Or raised letters?
2) Does the number go the length of the tube or does it go vertical around the tube?
3) I found a casting number in the housing itself, front, driver's side, 3969278NF.

I truly suspect that this is a wrecking yard replacement. The brake line fasteners to the housing were loose. There are two rectangular sheet metal guards (approx. 4" x 6") bolted to the axle tubes near the lower shock mounts that don't seem to be Chevelle/El Camino related. At least in the pictures I've seen in magazines and shop manuals, they are not there.

Any help is appreciated!

Larry