From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Larry Butler
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 9:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Steering Box Rebuild

I have a '72 El Camino with power steering. I am in the process of rebuilding the front end. While pulling the center link I noticed a lot of power steering fluid leaking down the pitman arm. I suspect the 31 year old pitman shaft seal on the steering box is leaking.

Question: I can't seem to find literature on how to rebuild the steering box. Has anyone out there rebuilt a steering box? What is involved? Is it better to have it rebuilt? I suppose there are rebuild kits, but I am worried about tools. I don't have a machine shop. I got a quote from a local shop $180 to rebuild it (in California labor is high).

Thanks,

Larry