If you are taking things apart, you might want to check out the
bearings.  This gets into the full engine building arena, but if you had
water circulating for long you might have worn through a bearing or
five.

Did you check out the oil or filter for metal?  Did you drop the pan?
When my 327 in the Corvette blew, I ended up with a lot of water in the
pan as well.  For some reason I never took great pictures of the pan and
all the crap that was in there (just one picture), but it was obvious
the bearings were toast from the material in the pan.  I may have run
longer than you after the water got into the pan, so your damage might
be minimal.

Remember, oil floats on the water, and the oil pump may be registering
pressure while actually pumping water through the engine.  I'm sure that
this is what happened with my engine, since I thought it was an
overheating problem at first.  My first symptom was steam, followed by a
funny noise.  I was at the track and pulled into the pits (luckily I was
a hundred yards from the pit entrance) when I noticed the steam.  When I
pulled in, I also noticed that the engine was running a bit rough and
making a noise I could not identify.  Neither could the other
experienced racers there.  I topped off the radiator and tried to drive
home since I figured the engine was toast anyhow (already a 0.040
overbore).  I watched my oil pressure and made sure it was OK, and I
drove 55 MPH on the highway.  I made it a few miles before the big bang
and catastrophic failure...

Hopefully the water was sucked into the crankcase as the engine cooled
down and you never ran on "water lubrication".  But in case you did, you
might want to check out the main bearings, and maybe even the rods
(since that is where mine failed).  It was one crank throw that is
really worn, and mostly for one cylinder.  The rest are almost all in
great shape, including the mains.

Post Mortem Autopsy pictures here: http://ep.com/brad/Corvette/blown327/

Brad Waller     ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
'66 Corvette | 327/dead | 4-speed   | Wilwood Brakes | 245/45/16 BFGs
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | '79 F-Body Brakes