-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bill Lessenberry
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 9:07 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] WOO HOO!!!!

At 08:10 PM 11/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, for the first time since purchase, I finally drove my El Camino
today.
>Granted, it was just a couple of laps around my friend Jack's back yard,
but
>it was a great feeling to see the thing move under it's own power for the
>first time.
>
>It goes, it stops, it even turns!

Way to go!!

>I have replaced the tranny gasket twice and it still leaks. I used hi-temp
>RTV only on the pan side the first time, and on both sides the second time.

I've had the best luck with the NAPA brand gaskets, the ones that are NOT
cork.  Don't use any RTV, but you could use a little weatherstrip adhesive
to hold the gasket to the pan if you want.  Also, be sure that the bolt
holes in the pan aren't dimpled, if they are, use a a small hammer to tap
them back flat again, backing the flange up with a piece of steel under the
hole.  Don't over torque the pan bolts, put some blue Loctite 242 on them,
and snug them up but don't crush the gasket.

BL