Firewall bulkhead connector is a good candidate.  There is a small (5/16 or 3/8) bolt
that goes thru ther middle, tightening it to the fuse block.  Remove that bolt &
visually check the male connectors for wear and the female connectors for being spread.

Another possibility is the connection at the junction block.  The JB is on the core
support, probably near the battery but it could be on the other side.  I'm not
familiar with 68 wiring at all.

Finally, according to my 68 shop manual, there is a joint on the line between the
j-block and the alternator.  4 wires come together, from the j-block, to the
alternator, to the Voltage reg, and to the horn relay.   Don't know whether the joint
is crimped or soldered but its also a place for things to go bad.

rick schaefer
72 El camino
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/rick/elcamino17.jpg
ACES #00140
Team Chevelle #00038

-- "Scott Somers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Since I have only been a Chevelle owner since my divorce in April ( she got
the '55 Chevy) I am not that familiar with the operations of the "newer"
cars.  I have a 68 SS396 ( cloned but it's still a Chevelle and fun to
drive)

It has been in the shop a lot of the time for more upgrades - front end,
rear end stuff, discs, stereo system, dual electric fans and so on.  The
engine has about 2000 miles on the rebuild but we're fixing to pull it for a
Comp roller cam, roller rockers, new converter on the 700R4, new bracket
system, a new Air Gap manafold in the Permastar finish, yada, yada.  It
seems to be in good shape.  My wrench is a serious go fast engine builder
and feels the car is strong.

Here's the problem.

left the house on Monday to go for a spin.  About 4 miles from the house,
running fine, then quit.  A "pop" then all, I mean all, electrical went
away.  While waiting for the flatbed, I checked the battery ( a 2 month old
Optima) and it registered 12.53.  Before the flatbed got there, I tried
again to start it and it fired right up, ran for 15 seconds and stopped -
again no electric to anywhere.  Full power at the battery but none anywhere
else.  Actually a little, enough to barely power the inside lights for just
a second and then dead.

Walked out this morning and the batter registered 12.4 but it fired right
up.  I turned it off and came in to the office.

Is there a thermal electrical thang somewhere in Chevelles.  Obviously I
cannot trust going anywhere in it until it is found and fixed.  Reliability
is way high up on my list of happys.

Thanks in advance.

Scott