There's the same amount of gas whether the companies charge $2 a gallon or
$4 a gallon. The only thing that really changes is the profit margin. The
oil companies, oil producing countries & the politicians all talk a lot
about supply & demand & crude oil productivity & refinery productivity all
causing the prices to go up & down. But that's not necessarily true.  If the
oil producing countries cut down on their crude production or the refineries
cut down on their production, there would be less product to sell but that
doesn't mean it cost them any more or less to make each gallon of gas or
oil. The big companies & oil producing countries are all making record
profits. They charge more money because they can, not because they have too.
The American consumer is being raped by the oil & gas companies. It is
simple greed. If everyone in the oil food chain cut their profits by say
1/3, everyone would still be making a good profit but the price of gas would
go down considerably. They won't do this of course because they don't have
too. I'm all for people & businesses making money, it's what we work for &
what keeps the economy going. But when is it enough? Especially when you're
talking about a necessary commodity such as gas, oil & natural gas. In our
society it is a necessity. Why can't they be happy with making millions
instead of billions? or at least a few billion instead of many billion?
Don't you realize that even if we all gave up our performance cars &
everyone in the country drove cars that got 50mpg, the oil companies would
then charge $6 a gallon so they could keep their profits up. It's not the
oil, it's the greed that's the problem. I remember back many years ago when
they use to tell us to keep your car running when stopped for a train or a
red light because it used more gas to start it than to keep it running. But
many years later they admitted that wasn't really true. They just wanted to
sell more gas. Remember the gas shortages of 1973? Long lines at the pumps,
etc? But once the price jumped up from 40 cents a gallon to over a dollar,
all of a sudden there was no more shortage. There hasn't been a shortage in
the last 30 years. Oil isn't the problem friends, greed is the problem.
Unfortunately it isn't going to change. Of course this is a very simplified
opinion of these problems. This could be discussed for
hours/days/weeks/years on end but I really just wanted to vent some. Sorry
for the long winded tirade.
Don
 I agree, our nation has not been conservative when it comes to our
petroleum resources, perhaps even flaunted or wasted them in the past and
present.  On the other hand there have been a lot of innovations over the
years that would have provided much better gas mileage, or even taken the
place of some of the gas usage only to have the companies bought out by the
large petroleum companies and put out of business.  I have experienced this
with what used to be two different customers I had prior to their being
bought out and closed down.  I remember because I had to take back a lot of
product back from them and had to pay back the commissions.

 The petroleum companies are going to do everything they can to slow the
introduction of anything that will reduce the gas usage in this country and
their profits.  Big money wants even more money and we can do very little
about it by ourselves.

 Chuck Speake

 70 Chevelle Malibu
Glen Ellyn, IL