May just be terminology but there's a difference between high volume and
high pressure pumps.  High volume pumps are normally used to increase oil
flow or pressure for better oiling and cooling when bearing clearances are
on the high side.  More oil pressure is produced at idle due to longer or
larger gears.

A high pressure pump has a stiffer relief valve spring that doesn't open
until a high pressure is achieved.  The actual flow rate is no different
than a standard pump and won't affect oil pressure at idle unless larger
gears are used for high volume as well.

One over the other is irrelevant since whatever is in there is pegging your
oil gauge.  Since we now know it's a factory-style gauge with no numbers
it's hard to say what the calibration is. I'd still hook up a numbered
mechanical gauge to see just what pressure is being recorded.  If it's
constantly over 50-60 lbs then an oil pump change may be warranted.  If
pressure is too high it could actually cause harm by pushing oil past the
bearing surfaces before it has a chance to cool and lube the bearings
properly.

Dale McIntosh

 <http://www.chevellecd.com> 1966/67 Chevelle Reference CDs

ACES #1709/TC GOLD #92 <http://www.chevellecd.com>