Thanks Dale, that's what I'll do. When I take the car out of storage this month
I'll hook up another gage that's numbered and see what I got.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dale
  Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Oil pan removal

  May just be terminology but there's a difference between high volume and high
pressure pumps.  High volume pumps are normally used to increase oil flow or
pressure for better oiling and cooling when bearing clearances are on the high
side.  More oil pressure is produced at idle due to longer or larger gears.

  A high pressure pump has a stiffer relief valve spring that doesn't open
until a high pressure is achieved.  The actual flow rate is no different than a
standard pump and won't affect oil pressure at idle unless larger gears are
used for high volume as well.

  One over the other is irrelevant since whatever is in there is pegging your
oil gauge.  Since we now know it's a factory-style gauge with no numbers it's
hard to say what the calibration is. I'd still hook up a numbered mechanical
gauge to see just what pressure is being recorded.  If it's constantly over
50-60 lbs then an oil pump change may be warranted.  If pressure is too high it
could actually cause harm by pushing oil past the bearing surfaces before it
has a chance to cool and lube the bearings properly.

  Dale McIntosh

  1966/67 Chevelle Reference CDs

  ACES #1709/TC GOLD #92