Dale, It is an inch shorter. With all the mods for the brackets, I will definitely take your advice and see if I can swap it for the correct year.
Thanks for the Chevellestuff link info.
Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 12 Bolt Posi Rear

Casting number 3875745N shows it to be a 66 12-bolt rear.  CO is 3.31
w/metallic brakes and Positraction.  It's 1 to 2 inches narrower than a
68-72 rear and should have a different spring perch arrangement; lower coil
is larger and a plate bolts it in place as opposed to it sitting on a 'top
hat'.  Honestly, it's worth more to a 66 owner looking for a good rear end
as they're getting harder and harder to find.  Any 68-72 Chevrolet rear
should bolt right in.

You might want to read the bottom of this page -
http://www.chevellestuff.com/generic/axlecodes.htm

Dale McIntosh
1966/67 Chevelle Reference CDs
ChevelleStuff.com