I doubt the breeder is separating them during eating only. Chances are, he
has separated them permanantly. That is sad.
One of the main reasons a chi pup should stay longer is simply due to
size. It isn't that they take longer to wean, or anything like that, but
due to the fact that often times the new owner does not have the know how
to properly care for such a small dog. A breeder, on the other hand,
should know how to take care of it, thus it is better staying with an
experienced person untill it is a bit older. So many chi pups suffer
injuries, not because the new owner is careless, per se, but because they
just don't realise how fragile the chi pup is. I have heard everything
from broken legs due to jumping off furniture, to pups getting killed
after climbing inside a recliner and the owner not knowing before they let
the recliner down.

Then of course is the sugar issues, the feeding needs, the shot reactions,
ect...all things an experienced breeder should be better equiped to deal
with than a new owner. I would not be so concerned letting a younger pup
go to a new home where an an experienced chi person is....for instance, I
would let Cindy take a pup home at 7 weeks.....but I would not let a new
chi person, or even a person with unknown or limited experience.

The ads for the DVDs and books are all over the internet. It is true that
chis are unique from most breeds, but
I would think it would be more dependant on your own ability to train,
than on the breed you have. Some people benefit from seeing examples on a
DVD, some do better seeing the words written in a book, and some are just
naturals at it. Still others learn more just from talking with people such
as this group. As to whether the books and DVDs are worth it would depend
on you and how you like to get info. But yea, chis are different. Every
breed  is different. You can take a sweet lab who is desperate to please
and train it easily, but sometimes, trying to train a chi is like trying
to train a cat, lol. Once you learn the personality of the chi, you can
better understand how to approach training. And no two chis are alike.
Marsha

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/MJOolB/TM