On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> - forces the browser process 32-bit, which is a huge pain to install
>> on 64-bit Ubuntu (you have to manually unpack .deb files and create
>> symlinks in /usr/lib, etc.).
>
> I'm very confused by this one.  The browser process already calls on some
> webkit functions, which means that it brings in code that depends on V8.

Ok, maybe it was a lost cause to begin with.  :)

>  Also, I assume you intend to ship a static binary that links in most of our
> code as we do on Windows.  Experience with Firefox on Linux showed this to
> be a huge gain for Firefox as well.  I'd be very surprised if it were not.
> Could you ease some of the installation pain by having a 64-bit stub
> executable?

Yes, the plan is to static link.  It's system libraries that we don't
statically link against that cause the pain: nss, gtk, glib, nspr.

Now that I think of it, we're probably going to need to do something
clever for building the plugin code, since I believe the
plugin-wrapper process will need to be 64-bit.  That may mean building
all of the base libraries, etc. twice... :(