I'm starting to think ahead to how quotas will work with LocalStorage (and I
assume database and maybe even AppCache).  To begin with, I'll probably just
set a fixed quota (5mb is pretty standard), but some apps will surely desire
more space than that, so I think we'll need a more robust solution fairly
quickly.  (Maybe even before it comes out from behind the
--enable-local-storage flag.)
The question is how should we handle quotas from a UI perspective.

One approach that seems obvious to a lot of people I've talked to is asking
the user (maybe via an info bar?) whenever an origin hits its limit (before
we decide whether to return a quota exceeded error or not).  The problem is
that WebKit (in the renderer) can't block on the UI thread (since it may be
blocked on WebKit).  Maybe it's safe to pump plugin related events while in
the middle of a JavaScript context?  If not, then I'm not sure if any
just-in-time solution like this is going to be viable.

We could implement heuristics that predict when LocalStorage is about to run
out of space, but if we don't predict it in time, we will have to send a
quota exceeded exception to the script.  A lot of common use cases like you
syncing gmail for the first time would make this difficult to do well, I
think.

Safari buries the setting in the preferences menu.  That would be better
than nothing, I suppose.

Any other ideas?

Jeremy